Tshepiso's Custard Cookie with Custard Filled Mini Doughnuts
Mix the following together to form a soft dough
10g baking powder
- Cream margarine
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix to form a soft dough
- Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30minutes
- Cut desired shape and bake at 180 degrees until edges start to brown
1 cup finely diced strawberries
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup whole milk
Pinch of fine sea salt
3 large egg yolks
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- In a small heavy bottomed pot, add heavy cream, milk, and salt and cook on medium heat until it begins to gently simmer, at this point turn off the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until they are pale.
- Very slowly pour warm milk into the egg yolk mixture, mixing constantly, until all of the milk has been added.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Pour cornstarch paste into the custard mixture.
- Return the custard to the saucepan and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard is thickened and glossy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla; stir until smooth.
¾ cup warm milk
2 ¼ teaspoons Yeast
⅓ cup butter melted
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 ½-4 cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable Oil for Frying
Sugar for coating
- In a small bowl, combine warm milk and yeast. Allow to sit until yeast begins to “bloom”.
- Once the yeast mixture is foamy, stir in melted butter and sugar.
- Whisk in eggs.
- Begin with adding 3 ½ cups of flour and the salt. Knead mixture until dough forms and ball and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. If needed, add more flour in 1 tablespoon increments at a time.
- Once dough is smooth, place in a large greased bowl, cover and let rest until dough has doubled in size, at least 2 hours.
- Once dough has risen, place on a well floured surface and roll a flat disk, about 1-2 inches thick.
- Cut out donuts with a 3 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and cover lightly. Allow the dough to rest for 30-45 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed skillet or pot (or a deep fryer) pour oil to a depth of 2 inches deep.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Working in batches of 2-3 at a time, carefully drop donuts into hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Once donuts have cooled slightly, coat in sugar. Set aside to
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a small tip or a plastic bag with a small corner cut out with the chilled pastry cream. Pipe a few tablespoons into each donut round.