Recipe by: Dee
Dee's Chocolate and Coffee Surprise Cake
Chocolate and Coffee Cake
400g castor sugar
50g cocoa powder, sieved
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
100g melted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup warm coffee
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line two 15cm round cake tins.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients together and whisk well.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together and pour into the dry ingredients, combining well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes
- When the cakes come out of the oven, let them cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning them on onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Once they are cool, cut each cake in half so that you have 4 layers.
2 cups castor sugar
6 egg whites
500g unsalted butter
200g melted dark chocolate
50g cocoa powder, sieved
Few drops of black gel food colouring
Colourful sprinkles to fill the center
- Mix the egg whites together with the castor sugar over a double boiler until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the double boiler and transfer to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment and whisk until cool and the meringue has formed stiff peaks.
- Cube the butter and slowly add to the meringue. Switch to a paddle attachment and add the rest of the butter.
- Add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder and food colouring to create a black, chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream.
Polka Dot Vanilla Cake
2.5 cups flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp fine salt
1.5 cups sugar
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line three 20cm round cake tins.
- Cream the sugar, oil, butter and vanilla for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time and scrape the sides of the mixing bowl in between each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients and alternate this with the milk, starting and ending with dry ingredients.
- Take about three tablespoons of the batter and place into 2 separate bowls. Dye one bowl black and the other purple.
- Place the dyed batter into small half moon silicone moulds and bake for about 6 minutes.
- Pour the remaining batter into the prepared bowls. When the half moons come out of the oven and are cooled, put them into the batter in the tins. Cover with the rest of the batter and bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Cool before icing.
Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
3 cups castor sugar
9 egg whites
750g unsalted butter
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
Black gel food colouring
Purple gel food colouring
4 milkshake straws
- Whisk the egg whites and castor sugar over a double boiler until the sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer the egg white and sugar mixture to a stand mixer and whisk until it is cool and has formed stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the butter and finally, add the vanilla bean paste.
- Place the 1st layer in a cake board and pipe buttercream on it.
- Using a medium sized round cutter, cut a hole in the center of the next two layers, alternating them with buttercream.
- Pour the sprinkles in the middle of the holes and close off with the fourth layer of cake.
- Crumb coat the cake and do a final coat.
- Decorate with gold leaf
- Melt the isomal, add purple food colouring to it and pour onto silicone paper.
- Leave it to cool slightly and then hang over a glass to make an isomalt sail.
- Layer the cake with the buttercream. Crumb coat the cake and then do a final coat.
- Place the milkshake straws in the 20cm vanilla cake to create pillars so the chocolate cake can be stacked onto the vanilla cake.
- Place the chocolate cake onto the vanilla cake and place the isomalt sail on top of the chocolate cake.