Team Red's Speculaas and Creme Patissière Stack
Recipe by Dee, Charné, Derick and Ange
Speculaas Spice Mix
2.5 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp aniseed
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Combine all of the spices together and stir through.
- This is going to be used to flavour the short crust pastry.
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
40g butter at room temperature
40g icing sugar, sieved
1/4 tsp fine salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Combine the butter and icing sugar together and mix thoroughly.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder and stir through. Add one tablespoon of the speculaas spice mix to it and stir.
- Combine the flour and butter mixture together and mix. Do not overmix.
- Add the egg and mix until it forms a dough. Do not overmix.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, roll the dough out to about half a centimeter thick. Use a cutter to cut out your desired shape.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until they start to become golden around the edges.
- When they come out of the oven, remove them from the tray and place onto a cooling rack.
Chai Pastry Cream
2 bay leaves
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/5 tsp ground ginger
6 egg yolks
1 vanilla pod
5 coffee beans
- Boil the milk with the bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, sugar, ginger and coffee beans.
- Mix the yolks with the flour and slowly add the hot milk while mixing.
- Return the mixture to the stove and cook, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
- Cover with cling film and make sure the cling film is touching the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming.
90g popcorn kernels
3 tbsp oil
115g light brown sugar
85g unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Heat the oil in a pot and once it is warm, add the popcorn kernels. Once they start popping, cover with a lid and keep a close eye to prevent it from burning. When the popcorn is ready, remove from the heat and transfer to a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place the sugar, honey, butter, salt and vanilla paste into a pot and bring to a temperature of 120C. Once it reaches 120C, whisk in the bicarbonate of soda. Be careful because the bicarbonate of soda is going to make it bubble.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and mix through.Place the tray in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes
- When the popcorn comes out of the oven, remove it from the tray so that it doesn’t stick to the tray.
- Stack the sweet shortcrust pastry with the chai pastry cream, alternating the two, starting with the shortcrust pastry and ending with the pastry cream. You want 2 layers of the shortcrust pastry.
- Garnish with the caramel popcorn.