Lesego's Hors D’oeuvres
Recipe by: Lesego
Fish and Chips
Cape Malay seasoning
Oil for frying
- Thinly slice potatoes and fry until golden. Season and set aside
100ml brown sugar
100ml granulated sugar
100ml almond flour
- Cut the salmon into small pieces and dress with Tabasco and lemon juice
1 cup oil
2 sheets of Nori
Salt + pepper
- Using a hand blender, blend until thick and emulsified.
- Top each chip with salmon, seaweed mayo and trout caviar.
Butter Chicken Tacos
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup yogurt blended with coriander
- Make a fight. Once dough has rested, roll out and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
1/2 cup Greek-style yoghurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3cm piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 brown onion, halved, thickly sliced
410g can tomato puree
1/2 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
1/2 cup thickened cream
- Place yoghurt, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, garam masala and chilli powder in a glass or ceramic dish. Add chicken. Stir to coat. Heat oil and butter in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add chicken mixture to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chicken just starts to change colour. Add tomato puree and stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender and mixture has thickened slightly. Stir in cream and season to taste. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until heated through. Set aside
- Top flatbread with curry, cream cheese and some toasted cashews.
200 g unsalted butter
200 g sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200 g ground almonds
20g coarse polenta
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Fold in dry ingredients and bake until golden brown in a 180*C oven.
1/4 cup hibiscus tea
2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
- Mix in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Top the cakes with buttercream.
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine 1 cup of water with the butter or margarine and the salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour. Reduce the heat to low and stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Remove the dough from the heat and, while stirring constantly, gradually beat the eggs into the dough. Fry until golden.
1 1⁄2 cups water
1 can tomato paste
1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook everything in a large pot until thick. Check for seasoning. Set aside.
- Blend the two and strain through cheesecloth.
- Coat churros in Dukkah. Pour tomato sauce in cups topped with oil and churro.
Steak and Grapes
2 cups pickled grapes
- Sear the steak, cut into thin strips and coat a grape with steak on a skewer. Top with Mayo of choice.