Chef Wandile's Masterclass Passion Fruit Dessert
Recipe by: Chef Wandile Mabaso
Cake flour 1/2 cup
Royal Baking Powder 1 tsp
Ground coffee 1 tsp
Salt 1/8 tsp
White sugar 1/2 cup
Oil 1/4 cup
Espresso 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven at 179C and grease the baking tray.
- Place cake flour, baking powder, ground coffee and salt in one bowl and set it aside.
- In a bowl, mix sugar and eggs together. Add the oil and espresso.
- Mix the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Pour into a baking tray and bake for 15 mins.
- It should spring back on touch.
62g Cocoa butter
65g White chocolate
15g Gelatin powder
200g passion fruit coulis
10g passion fruit pulp
250g mascarpone (bring to room temperature)
100g whipped Parmalat cream
- In a saucepan, melt the cocoa butter.
- Add the white chocolate and stir with a whisk to melt.
- Remove from heat and add the gelatin powder. Whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Add the chocolate base to passion fruit and whisk.
- Whisk in the marscapone into the Passion Fruit mixture.
- Fold the whipped cream into the passion fruit mixture.
Passion fruits 2 punnets
Cinnamon stick 1
Whole pimento 2 tbsp
Black peppercorns 2 tbsp
Whole cloves 2 each
Star anise 3 each
- Slice the passion fruit in half and scoop the flesh in a bowl
- Toast the spices in a pan until it releases flavour and place in a spice bag.
- Place the spice bag in the passionfruit. Cling Wrap the bowl twice.
- Cook the passion fruit over a double boiler for 20 mins.
- Strain the passion fruit until there’s no liquid.
- Keep the pulp.