Recipe by: Khanya Mzongwana
Khanya's Masterclass Bone Marrow Bread
Bone Marrow Bread
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus 3 hours proving time
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
10 marrow bones
10g instant dry yeast
2 cups lukewarm water plus 1 extra
1/2 cup flour
40g brown sugar
1 T flaked salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place marrow bones on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes or until the bone marrow browns and soften a bit.
- Scoop the bone marrow out of the bones into a bowl.
- Heat a pan and add the bone marrow, frying until the fat is completely rendered, about 10 minutes on a low to medium heat.
- Pass the fat through a strainer and discard the solids until you’re left with a relatively clean oil. Set aside until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, pour the warm water into a bowl and lightly whisk in the yeast and sugar. Allow to stand for 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to bubble.
- Add the oil and stir through. In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Using a metal spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until a shaggy dough is formed.
- Stir until the dough is smooth, sprinkle over extra flour and begin to work the flour in with your hands to stabilize the dough, and knead for about ten minutes or until the dough remains soft but not too sticky.
- Warm the marrow bone fat slightly until pourable.
- Line a bowl with 1 cup of the fat and place dough in the bowl to prove.
- Prove for 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Generously butter a baking sheet and shape the dough into a flat bread. Indent the dough roughly with your fingers and pour the remaining bone marrow oil onto the bread.
- Prove for another hour. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Bake the bread for 30 – 35 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve right away with mpepho onion butter.
300g butter, softened but not melted
1 T mpepho, ground
1 onion, finely chopped
2 T olive oil
1 T flaked salt
- Heat a pan and add olive oil.
- Fry the onions until caramelized and softened stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mpepho and salt and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the butter into a bowl and add the fried onions, and stir until combined.
- Refrigerate for 5 minutes until soft but firmer.
- Serve with the warm bread.
- Isonka samanzi with pumpkin leaves