Padstal Cookie House
Recipe by: Lesego, Molly and Maxine
Pumpkin Spice Cookie
Start with the Pumkin Spice Blend
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl add all the spices and whisk until all the spices are evenly incorporated.
- Set aside to add to cookie dough and other bakes.
50g almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
2-3 tbsp pumpkin spice blend
250g butter, cubed
200g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment paper.
- Start by rubbing the zest into the sugar until fragrant. Add the butter and zesty sugar to a
stand mixer bowl and cream by mixing until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time whisking in between to keep the mixture homogeneous.
- Sift in the flour, cornflour, baking powder, cardamom and salt and stir by hand to form a
- Lightly flour the work surface and roll the cookie dough 3-5mm thickness. Cut out cookie
to desired shape and place on a prepared baking tray leaving room between cookies. Chill
cut the cookies in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown. Transfer the cookies
onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
2 egg whites (from pasteurised eggs)
400g powdered sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-low speed until frothy, for about 1 minute.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Once fully incorporated, increase speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks shiny peaks form. Adjust thickness of royal icon to your desired consistency by adding sugar a little at a time and very small amounts of water if your icing becomes too thick.
- Transfer to a piping bag immediately so that it doesn’t crust and decorate cookies.
2 cups castor sugar
- In a wide bottomed frying pan add the sugar and level. Heat to medium and when sugar starts to melt, swirl around to distribute. When the sugar is completely dissolved and the caramel starts to change colour it’s ready for the assembly of the cookie house.
- Switch off the caramel so that it won’t burn, and if it hardens gently reheat until it’s workable.
- Decorate cookies with desired design using royal icing and allow royal to set completely before building the structure OR you can decorate with royal icing after assembling your structure.
- Glue your structure together using hot caramel, BE CAREFUL AND WORK FAST.
- Have fun with the design and overall decoration of you cookie house and bake more