Thando's Russian Inspired High Tea
Biltong and Mushroom Samp Arancini
1 punnet white button mushrooms, sliced
5-8 sprigs of thyme
1 garlic clove, minced
½ brown onion, finely chopped
Canola oil, for deep frying
50g parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 cups panko breadcrumbs
½ cup flour
- Boil samp until tender.
- In the meantime, drizzle oil in a pan. Saute the onions for 3-4 minutes, add the garlic, thyme and mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are soft but still have a bit of bite to them.
- Add the cooked samp into the pan along with the cheese and combine. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Shape into medium sized balls, coat into the flour, eggs and then breadcrumbs. Deep fry until golden brown.
Air Bread Filled Beetroot Béchamel
170g warm water
250g bread flour
3g kosher salt
30g melted butter
For the béchamel:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups of milk
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 cup mature white cheddar, grated
4 small beetroot, cooked and pureed
- Stir together, water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Let it stand for 5 minutes to proof.
- Add flour, salt and butter and knead until a soft smooth dough. 10-15minutes. Add water to the dough if it is bit hard
- Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes
- Roll out using a pasta machine or rolling pin to about half a centimeter or less. Cut into 3cm x 3cm squares and bake until they puff up. Becoming hollow in the center and crunchy on the outside. Allow to cool
- Make the béchamel in the saucepan, melt the butter, add the flour and cook out the flour for about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until the sauce thickens. Add the nutmeg and cook for further minute whisking continuously. Remove from the heat, add the cheese and beetroot puree and combine
- Place the sauce in a piping bag.
- Make a small hole carefully in the air bread. Pipe the béchamel into the air bread. Serve