Recipe by Tahila, Catherine, Tshepio and Zakes
Team Yellow's Chai Spiced Dessert
230g Castor Sugar
2tsp baking powder
1tsp Vanilla Paste
1tsp ground cardamom
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, ribbon stage.
- Heat the milk, butter, glucose, vanilla and cardamom together. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sift four, baking powder and salt into the egg mixture, add all at once. Give it a gentle mix until just combined.
- Add in the warm milk mixture all at once and mix gently until combined.
- Pour into a lined 8-inch baking tin and bake at 150°C for 35-40 minutes or bake in a sheet pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
Pink Peppercorn Poached Pineapple
1 pineapple, cubed
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup water
1tbsp Pink Peppercorns
1tbsp Vanilla paste
- Place sugar, water and peppercorns into a sauce pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved, then add in the pineapple.
- Cook for around 40 minutes, leaving it on a gentle simmer and allowing it to reduce. Do not boil.
- Allow to cool and strain out the pineapple. Reserve the syrup to use on the sponge cake.
175g white chocolate
6g gelatine, bloomed
200g cold cream
100g cream, whipped
- Heat up the milk until hot and pour over white chocolate. Place bloomed gelatine in the microwave for 10 seconds to gently melt it, then quickly mix it into the milk mixture.
- Add in COLD cream all at once and mix through.
Fold in the whipped cream and chill in the fridge for one hour or until stiff enough to pipe.
- Pipe the mousse onto the baked sponge cake to assemble