350ml cake flour
25ml cocoa powder
35g icing sugar
125ml unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
30ml ice-cold water
- In a large bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, icing sugar and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and rub the mixture together between your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl. Add egg yolk and water. Bring the dough together using fingertips. Shape the dough into a ball. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a coin.
- Grease the base of a tart tin. Gently lift the dough and place it on the prepared pan. Push the dough to the sides of the pan and trim off the edges with a knife.
- Prick the dough with a fork, line with parchment paper and blind bake at 180 degrees in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave the tart crust to cool. Seal the cooled crust with melted chocolate.
Chili Chocolate Mousse
5ml vanilla essence
60ml castor sugar
300g dark chocolate
500ml fresh cream
- Hydrate gelatin in 50ml water.
- Beat eggs, vanilla essence, sugar, salt together.
- Melt chocolate together with chili flakes over a double boiler. Beat melted chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Dissolve the hydrated gelatin and beat into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat fresh cream until it reaches the soft peak stage. Gently fold the cream into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour chili chocolate mousse into tart rust and leave to set in the fridge.
Butternut and Ginger Ice-Cream
5ml vanilla essence
10ml ground ginger
2 egg yolks
130g castor sugar
250g pureed butternut
- Simmer cream, vanilla essence, cinnamon and ginger in a saucepan.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks, salt and sugar. Gradually pour half of the cream mixture into egg yolk mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with remaining cream mixture simmer until the custard coats the back of the spoon.
- Add butternut puree to the custard and pass through a sieve.
- Churn the mixture in the ice-cream machine until smooth.
- Freeze until ready to use.