Recipe by: Zakes
Zake's Tropical Celebration Cake
473g Selati Castor Sugar
1tsp Royal Baking Powder
2tsp Vanilla Essence
Gel Colour few drops
Green, Yellow, Black
- In a bowl combine eggs, oil, sugar and amasi gently. Then all add the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Divide the mixture into 3 batches of cake layers and use colour to colour each cake according to your preference adding one drop of each into the cake tins, then using a skewer to marble the cakes.
- Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes. When testing the skewer must come out clean.
- Repeat for the 2nd tier.
- Only making one color of each.
Ermine Coconut Frosting
365ml Coconut Milk
256g Selati White Sugar
375g Soft Butter Unsalted
- In a saucepan add flour and coconut milk heat and whisk to not form any lumps cook the batter for 5 minutes set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl beat butter and sugar till pale, on a medium speed add the cooled coconut batter a few spoons at a time. Once done, whip on high till light and creamy.
375g Soft Butter Unsalted
375g Selati Icing Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence.
Few Drops Yellow Gel Food Coloring
- In a mixing bowl beat soft butter while adding icing sugar slowly once complete whip the butter till creamy and soft.
Lychee Juice 350ml
1 Tsp Citric Acid
259ml Castor Sugar
126g Corn Flour
- In a saucepan heat up lychee juice, cornflour and sugar till a thick liquid forms, add citric acid and cook for 15 mins till clear. Pour onto a tray to cool for a further 15 – 20 mins there after cut into cubes and coat with sugar.
Lychee and Peach Mango Compote
125g Frozen Mango
125g Canned Lychee
125g Canned Peaches
126g Selati Castor Sugar
126g White Sugar Coating
- In a blender add all the fruit and blend roughly add to a saucepan with sugar and cook down till thick and shiny set aside to cool.
4 Sheets Rice Paper
100g Edible Sprinkles White
- In a food processor blend water and rice paper till no lumps form, add food coloring to the mixture to dye the mix. Using a dry pan, heat the pan on medium heat and using a pastry brush pour the mixture using a spoon and brushing streaks to form the lace on the lace that has dried on the pan immediately take it off.
Cut out a small hole in 3 of the sponges for the surprise inside the first tier.
Using the ermine frosting pipe around the cake and add the jam.
With each layer done add the lychee gummies and sprinkles, till the top layer. Take one of the cut out holes and cut in half to enclose the cake frosting. Place the cake with coconut frosting in the fridge.
Cut out rings of 3 sizes in the 3 sponges alternate the colours of black, yellow and green to form a dart one that is completely assembled using the coconut frosting and jam.
After both cakes have been crumb coated, frost the cakes and place back into the fridge to set.
Final assembling place the 2nd tier on top and garnish with the black lace wafer in addition to the gold sprinkles and a celebration party topper.
Enjoy the Celebration