Dee's Choux Au Caquelin with a Hazelnut Mousse, Strawberry Compote and Chocolate Biscuit Petit Fours
160g unsalted butter
8g vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Place the water, milk, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately when it comes to the boil, remove from the heat and pour all the flour into the saucepan and whisk until combined.
- Place back onto the heat and cook until it no longer sticks to the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat and place into a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk to cool before adding the eggs. Add the eggs a bit at a time and then pour the choux pastry into a piping bag. Pipe small dollops and set aside to make the craquelin.
40g salted butter
50g light brown sugar
- Combine everything in a stand mixer.
- Flour your surface and roll the craquelin thinly and use a circle cutter the same size as the piped choux and place onto the dollops of choux.
- Bake at 190C for 10 – 15 minutes.
Hazelnut Praline Paste
200g hazelnuts, toasted
300g castor sugar
- Place the sugar into a saucepan and make an amber caramel.
- Once the caramel is ready, add the toasted hazelnuts and stir until they’re coated.
- Remove from the pan and place on a silicone mat until completely cool. Once they’re cool, place in a food processor and blend until it becomes a paste. Set aside to use in the mousse.
175g milk chocolate
100g hazelnut praline paste
- Hydrate the gelatine in the water.
- Heat the milk and the 1st quantity of cream until boiling then pour over the chocolate. Add the hydrated gelatine and the hazelnut praline and set aside until it has cooled to room temperature.
- Whip the 2nd quantity of cream with the mascarpone cream until medium peak then fold in the chocolate mixture. Pour into a piping bag and refrigerate until assembly.
30g granulated sugar
45g orange juice
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and place in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients. Cook slowly over a medium heat until it thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
350g light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
100g cocoa powder, sieved
200g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Lastly, add the chocolate chips.
- Roll the cookie dough out and use a circle cutter to cut it into the same size as the choux puff.
- Place on a greased baking tray and bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Make a hole in the bottom of the choux puff and pipe in a small amount of mousse. Then pipe in a bit of compote and lastly, fill the choux puff with the hazelnut mousse. Place the choux puff on top of the cooled biscuit.