Beef and Mushroom Pie
500g unsalted butter, diced
500g cake flour
250ml ice cold water
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Add cubes of butter into flour mixture and mix until the butter is coated with flour.
- Stir in the ice cold water and mix into a thick dough (the nuggets of butter must still be visible). Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it a disk shape and cover with cling wrap. Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle shape. Fold the two ends to the center, then fold the dough in half. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Repeat about 3 to 4 times. Roll the dough out into sheets and chill the dough until ready to use.
Beef and Mushroom Filling
2 Brown onion, finely chopped
2 Leeks, chopped
1 Celery, chopped
1 Green pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves
4 bay leaves
2 Carrots, chopped
400g mushrooms, diced
500g Beef shin
125ml cake flour
250ml red wine
4 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
2 beef stock pots
250ml fresh cream
125ml frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium heat saucepan. Sauté onions, leeks, celery, and green pepper until aromatic. Add garlic, bay leaves, carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Set onion mixture aside
- If the saucepan is looking dry, add more oil. Sauté mushrooms until golden brown. Be careful to not overcrowd the mushrooms in the saucepan otherwise they will not brown. Set mushrooms aside.
- Turn stove up to high heat. Sprinkle beef with 125ml cake four, salt, and pepper. Add half the beef into saucepan and brown, remove and repeat with the remaining beef. Set meat aside.
- Pour onion, mushroom and beef mixture into a pressure cooker. Add red wine, thyme, rosemary and beef stock pots. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add cream and frozen peas. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Brown the remaining flour in a saucepan and pour over the stew. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Allow the stew to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Pour stew into ramekins or pie dishes and cover with a layer of puff pastry.
- Lightly glaze/brush puff pastry with a beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm accompanied by a fresh salad.