Catherine’s Baklava Tart
1 1/2C flour
1/3C icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 egg yolks
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to
mix well. Add the cold butter and blitz for about 20 seconds until it starts
to look like breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolks and blitz for another 10
seconds or so until well distributed.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in a piece of baking paper and sit in the
fridge for 1⁄2 hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the base of a tart tin with baking paper.
- Once chilled, roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to
about 3-4mm thick. Remove the top sheet of paper and use the bottom
sheet to help you flip the pastry over into the prepared tin, then remove
the paper. Gently press the dough into all the corners and make sure the
top edges are even. Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Line the tart case with the same piece of baking paper and fill with baking
beads (or rice). Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the baking paper with pie
weights and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 C castor sugar
- Place the pistachios and hazelnuts into the bowl of a food processor and
blitz until finely chopped. Add the cinnamon and sugar and mix well. Set
2 TBSP orange juice
- Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until
the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil for about 8 minutes
stirring every so often until thickened, and reduced by half.
- Mix 1⁄3 cup of the syrup through the nut mixture, then spread the nut
mixture over the pastry case base.
1tsp vanilla extract
1C almond flour
- Beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and
vanilla and beat well. Finally, mix in the flour and almond flour.
- Carefully spread the mixture over the top of the nut filling. Bake for 40-45
minutes, turning the tray half way through, until golden and springy on