Muizenburg Beach Huts Cookie House
Recipe by: Lizelle, Damien and Nolan
500ml castor sugar
500ml butter, room temp
2 eggs, room temp
10ml vanilla essence
20 ml baking powder
1,5kg cake flour
5 ml salt
- Beat castor sugar and butter together until light and fluffy and beat in 1 egg at a time until well incorporated. Add 20 ml of the spice mix to the dough at this stage, add flour and work until a dough forms and allows it to rest for a short while before rolling out.
Zest of 3 oranges
10g cardamom pods
10g cinnamon sticks
- Toast all the ingredients on a high heat, transfer to a pestal and mortor and grind until fine, sift and set aside.
100ml brown sugar
100ml granulated sugar
100ml almond flour
- Combine all the ingredients and whisk until well combined.
Blue food colouring
- Combine a few drops of lemon essence and food colouring until a light sky blue colour forms.
- Use white food colouring to recreate the waves on the ocean.
- Fondant for decorative items
- Additional sugar for caramelising to stick everything together.
Yellow, blue and red food colouring
3 egg whites
1,25ml cream of tartar
4 cups icing sugar
- Whisk egg whites until frothy with cream of tartar, gradually beat in icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Split into 3 different bowls and colour accordingly.
- Before painting, mix a few drops of water through the icing to create a paint, brush a few layers on to the cookies after assembling.