Sweet Rice Pudding
Recipe by: Nolan Adimulam
1 cup water
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup Arborio rice
2 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Few dashes ground cinnamon
Whipped cream, for serving
- Bring water, salt, and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, return to a boil, and then reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Shake the pan occasionally and cook until rice has absorbed the water but it still al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Bring milk, sugar, vanilla, and a few dashes of cinnamon to a simmer in a separate saucepan. Add the cooked rice and cook at a simmer over medium-low heat until rice absorbs most of the milk and mixture starts to get thick and silky, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer pudding to a large bowl and cool to room temperature. Place in the refrigerator until cool and set. Serve with whipped cream and a dash more cinnamon.
- Once cool , roll into balls, cover in breadcrumbs and deep fry.
1 can Chickpeas
1 tsp Mustard seeds
A pinch Dried chilli flakes
1 stem Curry leaves
1 small Red onion
- Fry all ingredients together in a little oil until aromatic.
Ingredients to make Jamun
1 cup milk powder
5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ghee or oil
1 tbsp ghee or oil for greasing
2 to 4 tbsp Parmalat milk
1 tbsp Parmalat plain yogurt
1 large pinch Royal Baking powder
Ghee or oil for deep frying
For Sugar Syrup
1 ½ cups Sugar
1 ½ cup water
4 pods green cardamom
1 tsp rose water
Preparation of Sugar Syrup
- Mix together water, sugar and crushed cardamoms in a pot.
- Boil the syrup until it turns slightly sticky.
- Turn off the stove before it goes to a 1 string consistency.
- If it reaches a 1 string consistency, then add 2 tbsp of water and mix.
- Add rose water and mix. Set aside to keep it hot.
Making Juman Balls
- Fluff up the flour in the jar with a fork and then measure correctly.
- Mix together flour, milk powder and soda in a bowl. Either sieve it or mix uniformly.
- Add ghee to it. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice or yogurt and 2 tbsp milk.
- Pour 1.5 tbsp of this to the flour mixture.
- Begin to bring the flour together to make a dough.
- If the dough is too dry, add a little more milk & curd until you get a smooth dough. Do not add a lot. Use only as needed.
- The dough turns sticky. Grease your fingers and make a ball.
- The dough must not be soggy. It must hold the shape well and should be smooth without any cracks.
- Divide to 14 to 18 equal sized portions. Grease your hands and roll to smooth balls.
- They must be smooth without any cracks or lines otherwise you will find many cracks on the gulab jamuns. Keep them covered.
How to make Gulab Jamun
- Heat up the pan with ghee or oil on a medium heat. Also check if the syrup is hot. If it is not hot, heat it up a bit. It must be hot and not very hot.To check the right temp, you can drop a small piece of dough in the oil.
- It must rise slowly without changing its color. If it rises rapidly then you will need to cool the oil a bit before frying. When the ghee is just medium hot, add the balls. Make sure the oil is not very hot else the gulab jamuns will brown without cooking well. Fry the balls on a medium flame for 1 to 2 mins. Then regulate the flame to low flame & fry until golden. Keep stirring gently to fry them uniformly. Add them to the hot syrup. Allow them to rest for 3 hours and serve.
1 cup/250ml granulated sugar
6 tbsp butter
1/2 cup fresh cream
3 tbsp Tamarind
- Place the sugar in a heavy based saucepan, on medium heat. Keep stirring, using a wooden spoon or whisk
- Do not take your eyes off the sugar or it may burn. Keep stirring. It will form clumps of sugar at first. It will then become an amber colour liquid with no more lumps. It will be quite hot so be careful not to burn yourself
- Turn the heat to low and add the butter. It will start to bubble so be careful again. If you’re not confident to do this in the heat. Remove it from the heat
- Once the butter is completely melted return to the heat and simmer for one minute, do not stir
- Slowly add in the fresh cream and Tamarind and whisk until combined. Here again it may bubble so be careful. Boil the mixture for a minute and remove from heat
- Allow to cool a little and store in an airtight container. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month