Nadine's Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Roasted Rhubarb
Winning Viewer Recipe
3 ripe bananas mashed
3 Large eggs
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup oil
1tsp Vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
100g chocolate chips
- Beat eggs in a mixer on high speed with a whisk beater and slowly add the sugar until it has increased in size and is pale in colour.
- Change over to the standard beater and pour in the oil and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt together in a bowl and slowly add this to the mixer with the mashed banana and chocolate chips.
- Mix until incorporated, but do not overmix. Fill 2 x 20cm tins and bake in a preheated oven on 170C.
230g cream cheese
125g unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into cubes
500g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare the cream cheese icing by whipping the butter until it lightens, add icing sugar and vanilla essence and when it comes together, on a very low speed, add the cream cheese until it is incorporated.
3 Tbsp caster sugar
- Choosing the reddest part of your rhubarb and cut into 4-5cm pieces.
Put into a bowl and rinse, do not dry the rhubarb.
Add the caster sugar to the bowl.
Transfer to baking dish large enough for a single layer of rhubarb.
Bake on 200C for 20-25min until soft.