Recipes by: Tahila
Tahila's 3 Course Braai Meal
Braai Brie Wheel with Black Pepper Caramelised Pineapple and Pomegranate
1 whole Brie/Camembert
1/2 Pineapple Grilled, Brunoise
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2tsp ground pepper
1 pomegranate, seeded
- Grill Brie on AEG grid until charred on both sides.
- In a saucepan, heat up the sugar until it has melted and is golden. Add in the water and black pepper. Once the caramel is dissolved. Add in the Brunoise Grilled pineapple and cook until the mixture thickens and caramelises again.
- Place the pineapple on top of the brie and sprinkle over pomegranate seeds. Decorate with walnut brittle.
Serve with Sumac Bread
Sumac Pull-Apart Bread
50g butter, melted
- Sift your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, Combine your wet ingredients separately.
Note: everything must be room temperature or lukewarm if you wish to speed up the process.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix until all is incorporated.
- Tip it onto the counter and knead until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a dish towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Knock down your dough and divide into 8 equal pieces. Place them neatly in an 8-inch round baking tin, cover with cling wrap and set aside until doubled in size. About 30 minutes.
Lamb Loin Curry
1 lamb loin
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, blended
4 cloves garlic, minced
1tbsp Durban Masala
2tsp garam masala
1tsp Ground cumin
1tsp Ground coriander
1tsp Yellow Mustard seeds
1tsp Cumin seeds
1/2cup Beef Stock
- In a pot on the fire, fry your chopped onions in oil and butter until golden. Add in the chopped garlic, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Once your garlic is toasted, add in your dry spices and mix around for one minute until fragrant. Add in blended tomatoes and Beef Stock.
- Add your lamb into the pot and close the lid. Allow to simmer for 2 hours until the lamb is tender.
- Serve hot with fresh coriander
75ml warm milk
10ml white sugar
1/2tsp Royal Baking Powder
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and add enough amass to form a soft dough. Roughly 1 cup.
- Allow the dough to double and then divide into 4 pieces.
- Shape into a long tear drop naan shape and cook on the AEG grid over a fire. Once the dough has risen and charred, remove it from the heat and brush with melted butter and fennel seeds
- Serve hot!
Sago Pudding Braai Trifled
Vanilla Braai Sponge Cake
1tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Vanilla Paste
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, ribbon stage.
- Heat the milk, butter, glucose, vanilla and rooibos tea. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sift four, baking powder and salt into the egg mixture, add all at once. Give it a gentle mix until just combined.
- Strain the rooibos out of the milk. Add in the warm milk mixture all at once and mix gently until combined.
- Pour into a lined baking tin, cover in foil and place into a closed braai oven at 120’C. Constantly check to make sure the temperature is the same and cake is cooking
- Remove the bread from the Braai oven. Melt butter and brush it over while the bread is hot! Game changer. Flip out of your tin and serve.
Cardamom Sago Pudding
3 cups milk
1/2 cup sago, soaked
2 whole eggs
1tbsp Vanilla Paste
1/2tsp Ground Cardamom
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and cook over a medium flame, continuously whisking until it thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool
- Layer cake, pudding and fresh pomegranate in a glass or large dish to make the trifle.