Giselle's Masterclass Buchu Sponge Cake
3 Teaspoons of South African Fynbos® Buchu Culinary Herb (fine cut) – Agathosma betulina
2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup sour cream
2 ½ cups cake wheat flour or gluten-free flour
3 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups milk
- Beat the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the batter and mix. Add half the milk and mix. Mix in remaining dry ingredients, then the remaining milk and continue to mix at low speed until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Sprinkle the Buchu on the batter and combine well.
- Spoon into a 20cm round springform cake-tin and bake at 160°C for 35 minutes.
2 Teaspoons of South African Fynbos® Buchu Culinary Herb (fine cut) – Agathosma betulina
Dried Buchu flowers reconstituted with sugar water for decoration (optional)
2 ½ cups granulated sugar
¾ cup unsalted butter (170g)
1 Teaspoon pure vanilla essence
1 Tablespoon double-thick cream
- Blitz the Buchu herbs and sugar together to the consistency of powdered sugar/icing sugar.
- Cut the butter into pieces and whip until light in colour.
- Add the powdered Buchu-sugar and mix at low speed till incorporated into the butter.
- Add the vanilla essence and double-thick cream and mix to combine for about a minute.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 3 more minutes.
- Spread over cooled sponge and decorate with reconstituted Buchu flowers.