2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 vanilla bean
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
- Combine all the dry ingredients together except the sugar.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla
- Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Finally, add the oil and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased and lined cake tins and bake at 180C for 25 – 30 minutes.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
2 cups castor sugar
6 egg whites
500g unsalted butter
1 vanilla bean
- Pour the egg whites and castor sugar into a stainless steel bowl and place over a pot of warm water over a medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Use your finger to feel for grains of sugar. If there aren’t any, the mixture is ready. Transfer to a stand mixer and whisk on high until the meringue has cooled.
- Change the attachment to a paddle attachment and slowly start adding the cubed butter.
- Add the seeds from the vanilla bean and stir until well combined.
450g frozen mixed berries
60ml lemon juice
1 tbsp vanilla paste
- Add all the ingredients except the lemon juice to a saucepan and cook until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Simmer cream, vanilla essence, cinnamon and ginger in a saucepan.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks, salt and sugar. Gradually pour half of the cream mixture into egg yolk mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with remaining cream mixture simmer until the custard coats the back of the spoon.
- Add butternut puree to the custard and pass through a sieve.
- Churn the mixture in the ice-cream machine until smooth.
- Freeze until ready to use.