Millionaire Shortbread Cookie Disk
Recipe by: Glenda Ramathavha
Butter room temperature (226g)
Sugar packed (100g)
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup toasted Pecan nuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Butter cut into Tablespoon-sized pieces (113g)
1 cup light brown sugar packed (200g)
1/4 cup Golden or corn syrup light or dark (60ml)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup heavy cream (80ml)
1 pinch sea salt to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 180° and line a baking pan with baking paper or foil.
- Cream the butter then add the sugar, salt and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and egg yolk then mix until combined.
- Add the flour and chopped up toasted pecan nuts in a few batches and mix until just combined.
- Transfer to your prepared pan and press with your hands into an even layer (you can even use the bottom of a glass to level) then bake for about 22 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- While the cookie crust bakes make the caramel.
- This is easiest with a candy thermometer but you can eyeball it.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, sweetened condensed milk and either golden syrup or corn syrup.
- Place over medium heat and whisk until melted and combined then continue whisking over the heat while the caramel bubbles and darkens to a richer color. Once it starts to thicken and pull away from the edge, 5-6 minutes, your caramel is ready.
- Take the baked crust and cut out a round disk, line the round disk with acetate – insert the cut crust then pour the caramel onto the shortbread base/crust, smooth to the edges creating a flat layer. Chill for about 10 minutes so the caramel sets.
- Chop chocolate and melt with cream either in a double boiler or be microwaving in 2- to 3 20 second bursts, stirring in between. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and smooth into an even layer. Sprinkle with salt and decorate with some toasted Pecan nuts
1 1/4 cup Parmalat milk
1 cup Parmalat cream
3 heaping Tbsp powdered milk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 Tbsp cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
10 ice cubes
- Combine sugar, vanilla essence and powdered milk in a medium size pot. Slowly add 1 cup of milk while constantly stirring.
- Prepare the corn starch by combining it with the remaining 1/4 cup of milk. Whisk until cornstarch and milk are blended and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- Slowly bring the milk to a gentle boil, add cornstarch and keep stirring constantly, scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula, until the mix thickens enough to coat the spatula, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the stove.
- Set up an ice bath by placing a smaller bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water. Set a strainer over the top of the smaller bowl and pour the mix into the bowl. Keep stirring for 5-7 minutes until the mixture is cool.
- Slowly add heavy cream, constantly stirring.
- Blend the mixture with 10 ice cubes.