Cardamom Bun Spicy Burgers and Masala Chai Mandazi
Recipe by: Lesego Matuludi
Cardamon Bread Dough
6 cups cake flour
2 cups bread flour
1 cup castor sugar
3 tbsp ground cardamom
30g instant yeast
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 cups milk
- In a stand mixer bowl, sift in all the flour then gently whisk in your sugar cardamom and instant yeast. Add the salt.
- In a bowl melt your butter then add your milk. The liquid should be warm to the touch (not too hot and not too cold). With the dough hook start mixing your bread dough on a low speed setting and add the eggs, when the flour starts to clump slowly, stream in the milk and butter mixture and continue to knead until the dough is smooth.
- All the dough rises and doubles in size. After the first proof, divide and shape the donuts and let them rise before baking and frying.
- For the burger buns, bake in a 190°C oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
- For the mandazi, roll out your dough and cut out into triangles. Deep fry until golden brown
(about 3 minutes on each side).
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
1 large cucumber
- Heat everything BUT the cucumber in a saucepan, and cook until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cut the cucumbers thinly at a diagonal then pour the hot pickle liquid over the cucumbers and set aside to cool completely.
1 baby green cabbage
1 baby red cabbage
2 tbsp honey
Salt & Pepper
- Cut your cabbages and lemon in half then in a very hot pan, char the cut side of your cabbages until they’re almost black and stop the cooking process by placing them in ice cold water. Char the lemon as well but do not drop in the water.
- Dry off the cabbages as much as possible using a paper towel, then julienne the cabbage and set aside in a bowl.
- Dress the coleslaw with a little bit of salt and pepper, drizzle the honey and squeeze the charred lemon over it and give it a quick toss.
Berbere Fried Chicken
Ingredients for Berbere Spice blend
4 tbsp ground African birds-eye chilli
2 tsp ground black pepper
4 tsp coriander seeds
4 tsp cumin seeds
2 cardamom pods
3 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp ground clove
2 tsp salt
4 tsp smoked paprika
4 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Ingredients for Fried Chicken
8 boneless chicken thighs
Berbere spice blend
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp salt
- Start by blending the spice blend until it’s completely fine. (For extra flavour you can toast the whole spices before blending)
2. Brine the chicken thighs in a salt water brine for about 2 hours, this step is however optional because chicken thighs are succulent cuts of meat.
- Heat some oil in a large pot to about 190°C – 200°C, then start crumbing the chicken. Start by drying off any excess moisture on the chicken using paper towels. Prepare a bowl with eggs whisked together with the buttermilk and in another bowl prepare the Panko crumbs and sprinkle with salt.
- First coat the chicken completely with the spice blend, then dip into the egg mixture and finish with an even coat of the breadcrumbs and fry for about 8 minutes until the chicken is a deep brown colour (adjust cooking time according to the size and thickness of your chicken and make sure the oil is not too hot or else the chicken won’t cook through in time and raw chicken is a no no).
- Once your chicken has fried, place on a paper towel to catch any excess oil. Set aside.
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup canola oil
Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Add the egg, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and salt to the bottom of a jug then slowly add the oil and let it settle for a minute. Then add the coriander on top of the oil.
- Press a hand blender firmly against the bottom of the jug and turn it on. Keep it pressed on the bottom for about 10 to 15 seconds, once the mayonnaise starts to emulsify and thicken slowly move the blender up and down to fully combine the ingredients.
- Check for seasoning and then set aside.
- Cut your burger bun in half and spread some Parmalat smoked paprika butter for extra flavour and toast.
- Once the buns are toasted spread a generous layer of the coriander mayo.
- Top the mayo with the cabbage slaw.
- Then add your fried chicken to the burger.
- Add your pickled cucumber.
- Finish with another generous dollop of the mayo.
- Skewer your sandwich and it’s ready.
Masala Chai Mandazi
Ingredients for Masala Chai Pastry Cream
4 tsp black tea
5 cardamom pods
2 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp black peppercorns
10g fresh ginger
1 star anise
2 tsp honey
1/4 cup cream
6 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
- In a saucepan simmer your milk, tea, cream, honey and all the spices, and brew for a few minutes.
- In a bowl add the sugar, egg yolks, flour, cornflour and salt. Whisk until light in colour.
- Strain your tea then bring the chai to a gentle simmer.
- Temper the egg mixture with the heated liquid and then add everything back into the
saucepan and continually whisk on a low heat until the custard becomes thick.
- Strain the custard through and sieve then whisk in the butter.
- Cover your custard with plastic wrap so that it doesn’t form a skin and set aside OR you
can allow the pastry cream to cool in a piping bag.
100g milk chocolate
3 tsp roasted cocoa nibs
- Melt the chocolate and reserve.
- After frying the donuts, pipe in the custard until you feel resistance.
- Dip the side of the donut where you piped in the custard into some chocolate to seal.
- Finish with a sprinkle of the roasted cocoa nibs, and gold leaf for some flare.
- Have fun and remember to bake more memories.